Hot Pot Lunar New Year Recipe
Spicy Hot Malatang soup Base Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon spicy red chili oil
- 1 ½ cups broth (you can use vegetable, chicken or beef)
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter
- 3 cups water
- 5 dried red chili peppers (you can add even more if you want your Malatang to be extra spicy)
- 2 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 5 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of minced ginger
- 3 bay leaves
- ¼ cup paprika
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- \¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 3 star anise
- ¼ cup cooking wine
- ¼ cup of Sichuan peppercorns
- ¼ cup Chinese chili bean paste
- ¼ cup Chinese fermented soybeans
- 2 ½ tablespoons sugar
Note: you will need an induction ready cooking pot that is relatively shallow (under 4 inches) OR a dual hot pot with a built-in separator to make two different soup base flavours at the same time (typically it’s a spicy hot malatang and a tomato bone broth).
If you have a hard time sourcing the ingredients to make the soup base yourself, you can easily find ready to serve soup base packs at your local Asian grocery store or online.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil and let simmer for 2 hours.
Suggested ingredients for serving
- Beef, thinly sliced
- Pork, thinly sliced
- Chicken, thinly sliced
- Shrimp, deveined
- Fried fish cakes
- Fish balls, Squid balls or Beef balls
- Rice cake
- Udon noodles
- Tofu puffs
- Tofu, extra firm, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Rice vermicelli noodles
- Enoki mushroom
- Shiitake mushroom
- Bok choy
- Nappa Cabbage
Peanut dipping sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons satay sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat for 1-2 mins until it’s well combined.
- Transfer into shallow serving dish.
Cooking Made Simple.
Have a Question?
Send us a message and a member of our customer support team will reply to you shortly.
SEND US A MESSAGE
895 McDonald Ave Brooklyn, NY